Social Studies In-Class/ Take-Home Assignment, due Thursday!
SOCIAL STUDIES CANADA – Government Feb. 7, 2012
Grade 5 Review Questionnaire
Please answer the questions in complete sentences. The homework is due on Thursday, Feb. 9th. Please be neat and check for spelling. Answer the questions on a separate piece of paper and staple it to the question sheet.
1) Please list the 3 levels of governments in Canada.
2) Which one of the levels involves the control of the whole country?
3) Which one of the levels is led by a mayor?
4) Which one of the levels involves provinces?
5) Which one of the levels is led by a premier?
6) Armed Forces are the responsibility of the _______________ government.
7) Education is the responsibility of the _______________ government.
8) Animal control is the responsibility of the _______________ government.
9) _______________ is the formal head of the Canadian government.
10) The _______________ represents the queen in Canada.
11) What 2 groups is a part of the legislative branch?
12) What is the cabinet?
13) The _______________ are members that are elected by voters.
14) The ________________ are members that are appointed by the Governor General.
15) Which group is also referred to as the Canada’s Upper House?
16) Who is the presiding officer of the senate?
17) What is the main duty of the senate?
18) Which group is also referred to as the Canada’s Lower House?
19) What is another word for electoral district?
20) What is the fixed term (how long can he rule) for the Prime Minister?
21) Who was the first Prime Minister of Canada?
22) Who is the current Prime Minister in Canada?
23) What is the name of the leader of Canada’s opposition party?
24) What is the name of the political party that leads the country?
25) What is the difference between a majority party and a minority party?
26) Canada officially has 5 political parties! Please list them.
27) How many steps does it take for a bill to become a law?
28) In what stage is a report submitted to the House of Commons?
29) In what stage is the final vote cast from the House of Commons?
30) In what stage is the bill formally introduced to the House of Commons?